What will stay the same for my pharmacy?
The paperwork and processes for receiving products from Alliance Healthcare will not change, and you will still need to record stock entering your pharmacy in the same way. There are no requirements to scan individual products or aggregated barcodes on receipt of goods, and there will be no impact on stock management until the product is picked as part of dispensing.
What equipment will my pharmacy need?
A pharmacy system compatible with FMD
Whether you decide to upgrade an existing system or invest in a stand-alone FMD Patient Medication Record (PMR) system, you must be able to carry out the following tasks:
- Complete verification, decommissioning and recommissioning scans
- Provide ‘success' or ‘error' messages to users
- Handle message requests in the correct sequence
- Allow manual entry of unique identifier (UI) data (on exceptional circumstances)
- Remain active at all times, even when offline, with the ability to automatically reconnect.
It is essential that your system is connected to the National Medicines Verification System, SecurMed UK.
Community pharmacies will need scanners capable of reading a range of different barcodes, including: linear, 2D data matrix, QR, prescription or token barcodes, and aggregated barcodes.
There are various options available, so pharmacy owners should consider whether the additional costs of wireless scanners will offer more flexibility in the dispensary.
You will also need to have spare scanners and maintenance arrangements in place. To find out more about the FMD software and equipment available to you, contact your PMR supplier.